Friday, December 5, 2014

A Pelton Wheel and a yurt...

UEA weekend we'd hoped to escape to our beloved rock heaven in the desert of Moab but the twigs trumped that plan so we looked for closer and quicker escapes. Our very fun Scottie and April always have at least 3 great ideas ready at the blink of an eye and had carved out a few days to escape with us. They knew of an amazing little place in Southeastern Idaho and away we went to Oneida Narrows Reservoir.


On the banks of the Reservoir is an "off the grid" little hot springs called Maple Grove and was my first encounter with homemade power. I found it very interesting. They used a Pelton Wheel to garner power from water as well as using solar panels and a windmill. Pelton Wheels are noisy! (The Pelton Wheel and windmill are in the bottom left corner.)


That first night we hopped in the hot pool at 10:00 pm and stayed till after midnight. It was perfect! Then we made the mad dash back to the yurt and learned that a little power at midnight to heat a cold yurt is totally fantastic! Did I say Pelton Wheels are noisy - I take it all back, never heard a thing.

Did I say yurt? Why yes, yes I did. Sleeping in a yurt has been on my bucket list for years and it was so much fun I may have to do it again, sans boxelder bugs.   :)

We went for a little ramble out yonder and met this big friendly dog named Diesel. He helped ease our longing for sweet Kipper and made us think maybe we could love another dog.





Scott and April know how to play and come well prepared!  (The Mr. and I think that's the cutest little trailer for two.)

They are also completely generous which tickles the twigs who didn't stop smiling.





Thanks Scottie and April for your rockin' ideas and for being fabulous you!   xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hey, that looks like so much fun, I wish we had been there. Oh, wait, We Were!!!! Great pictures, Great fun, Where's Perry?

    ReplyDelete

Comment