Sunday, August 13, 2017

Love that wet-dog smell!

A few months ago, 
I saw the cutest picture of our friend Caitlin 
kayaking with her dog Roo. 

It made me wonder if our Rascal would like kayaking. 
We'd never really had him swimming before 
so we decided to give it a try and headed for the lake. 


Rascal was a little skittish 
(spell check tells me it's "skittish" not "skiddish" - who knew!) 
at first 
but in about 10 minutes 
he was hanging out on the front of the kayak
looking around and licking the lake.

He fell overboard 6 times that day.
Five of those times he climbed right back in 
but one time it took a few minutes and for just a split second
I thought I might need to go in after him!! 

It gave me flashbacks of an experience 18 years ago
right after this picture was taken.
Little Hunter (on the left)
stooped down and leaned over the boardwalk
stretching to touch the water below.


The Mr. was cautioning him to stay back and watch out. 
I remember my 8 months pregnant self saying 
I'd jump in after him if he fell in
so no worries. 

Yup, you guessed it. 
It wasn't 60 seconds later that
Hunter went head first into the water.

I jumped right in after him but the poor little guy had met 
an unseen rock with his forehead - ouch!!!


***
Fortunately, 
Rascal got a toe hold and climbed back on board. 

That night I had nightmares of Rascal drowning
so before we went kayaking again
we headed to the pet store for 
a dog PFD.


It works great!


We love that smiley dog!

Thanks for the fun idea, Caitlin!
=D

1 comment:

  1. I was chuckling thinking about you 8 months pregnant going after little Hunter! His poor little noggin. And Rascal is styling in that life vest!

    ReplyDelete

Comment