Friday, March 13, 2015

Wisdom and camping with scouts...

A few weeks ago we headed out to the island for Family Home Evening. We talked about dreams and goals. Lifetime, 10 year, 5 year, and 1 year dreams and goals. A few of the "lifetime" dreams/goals I mentioned just to get them thinking were:
- have a close, personal relationship with God
- swim the English Channel
- be a gopher farmer
- have 8 children (yes, it's true, I shamelessly admit trying to plant in their young minds the desire for
                          many children so I can have many grandchildren!)


We skipped rocks and enjoyed the sunset while we talked about our Exemplar, Jesus Christ. In Luke 2:52 we read "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man" and agreed that our goals could focus on increasing in wisdom (mental), stature (physical), favor with God (spiritual), and favor with man (social).


I asked the twigs what "wisdom" was and how we get it. They talked about wisdom being different from knowledge, then Hunter's observation on how to get "wisdom" took the cake.

He said...



..."You learn wisdom by going camping with your scouts."

I was speechless.   :)
Wasn't sure if he was totally joking and I should burst out laughing...or if he was serious, in which case the "bursting out laughing" response would not be ideal.

So I intelligently said, "Oh yah???"

He affirmed in all seriousness, that's how you learn wisdom.

So, I give thanks again to all the Scout Leaders who have taught my boys many things, one of which is...wisdom. Thanks, men!!



xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment