Monday, May 16, 2016

Counting down the days...

One of the terrific people who trusts me to clean his/her teeth 
is a happy, optimistic man 
who is approaching the age of retirement 
(though you'd never guess it.)

 Most people I get to visit with who are nearing retirement 
are excited at the prospect 
and are counting down the days, weeks, or months. 
When I asked about his retirement plans, 
his response surprised me. 

Counting down the days 
is not in the plans for this awesome guy. 
Not that he's planning on working forever, 
 he just wants to live today to it's fullest.
 Counting down the days would distract him 
from enjoying what today holds. 
He says he'll think about retirement when the time comes.

How smart is that!
I've heard Thomas S. Monson call it
"finding joy in the journey" and "living in the present."

We have a lot of "counting down the days"
 opportunities in our family right now.

There's
counting down the days till we get to have Zac back with us, 
counting the days we'll all be together 
before Hunter heads off to Timbuktu 
(New Hampshire), 
counting down the days till vacations
and parties
and reunions
and the temple
and homecomings
and farewells.
So many counting down the days!!


I'm really trying not to count down the days. 
(It's harder than it sounds!)
I'm trying to follow my friend's wisdom and enjoy what today holds!

I gotta tell ya though...
the green grass of summer
with it's accompanying 
 evenings devoid of the scene above is calling my name...

with a bullhorn! 
;)

1 comment:

  1. "with a bullhorn!" :) I hear the same horn, but for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete

Comment