Friday, September 26, 2014

At least six pair of ears...

My mom was never a "you shoulda'...you oughta" kind of mom, never saying you oughta' do this or you shoulda' done that. It boggles my mind how a person, let alone a MOM, could be so accepting and nonjudgmental.


It wasn't that she was unattached or disinterested. The woman was totally engaged and had at least 6 pair of ears. She was a listener!

She remembered every word I ever said. I could mention a college roommate's name years after I'd graduated college and she'd bring up where their parents lived and the name of their dog!


When the Mr. and I learned we were going to have a baby girl, that beautiful little blue-eyed Mom of mine asked what we were going to name our girlie. We excitedly told her our short list, Madison...Lauren...Sarah...which were good names and had links to ancestors but mom was quiet for just a minute and then in a gentle, soft voice said "You should name her Emily."


The Mr. and I about fell right off our chairs. Mom just said..."you SHOULD"! We were speechless, wide-eyed and in shock when we nodded our heads and said "okay".

Mom's grandmother had been named Emily. My mom was born after her grandmother died and never knew her. I don't know why Mom felt so strongly about the name but I believe there are ties that bind families together, real ties, eternal ties, important ties that I don't understand but I feel their importance in the center of my being.


My mom named our one and only little girl and she named her Emily. Then just to put the icing on the cake, Emily was born on Mom's birthday.    :)



Today is their birthday! Happy birthday girls!! We love you and are blessed by your sweetness.    :) xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Awww I loved all these pictures, most or actually all I have never seen before. What a special name and special ladies! Lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I never knew the story about Emily's name.

    ReplyDelete

Comment